- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts milk
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add flour; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain potatoes; add to Dutch oven. Add clams and remaining ingredients; heat through. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forNew England Clam Chowder
"I didn't care for the spices added to this recipe. I'll go back to my old recipe."
"My husband and son both said this was a restaurant-quailty chowder! It is absolutely delicious. I was looking for a little thicker soup (just my preference), so instead of milk, I used half-and-half. And I added a fourth can of clams! :)One great thing about this recipe: the ease!"
"I liked the flavor of this soup. Next time I will cook the potatoes a bit with the onion and celery to add a bit more flavor and a bit more cream."
"This recipe is fabulous!"
"Due to a previous comment, I used half of the thyme, but still did not care for the flavor. I wanted mine thick and creamy, so I used a quart of half and half and a quart of whole milk. I was pleased with the results. I added 2 minced garlic cloves and finely diced celery with the onions. I omitted the celery salt and sage. Overall, I was satisfied with my chowder, but it just wasn't my favorite."
"Best clam chowder ever!"
"I did not like the thyme in this recipe, the worst clam chowder I have ever had."
"Delicious, especially now since the weather is getting colder! My husband and I loved it, and he keeps telling me he isn't a soup person .... but he keeps asking for more! We both added a little more pepper! I didn't have celery salt, but had celery flakes and added a tad more salt. Excellent!"
"Great soup! I added 3 additional cans of clams."
"Clicked off before the stars!"