- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, cut into 1/2-in. slices
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) baked beans
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3 day-old croissants, cubed (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. In batches, brown chicken thighs on both sides; remove from pan, reserving drippings. Add sausage; cook and stir until lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add shallots, rosemary and thyme; cook and stir until shallots are tender, 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth and cranberries. Return chicken and sausage to pan; bring to a boil. Bake, covered, until chicken is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Toss croissant pieces with remaining oil; sprinkle with lemon pepper. Arrange over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, until croissants are golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forNew England Bean & Bog Cassoulet
"This was amazing. The flavors were complex, sweet, savory and all around wonderful. I was surprised how easy it was to prepare - it's now in our regular rotation of dishes!"
"This was comforting and tasty. I liked the fresh cranberries and the baked beans. We tried it with chicken apple sausage instead of the Italian. The croissants didn't save well, so if you are saving leftovers, I might recommend taking those off before storing."