New England Applesauce
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 pounds Rome Beauty or McIntosh apples
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons grenadine syrup, optional
- Peel, core and cut apples into wedges. In a large kettle, combine all ingredients except grenadine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes or until apples are fork-tender.
- Mash apples to a chunky texture or process with food mill for smooth sauce. Stir in grenadine if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 161 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 3g fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 2, 2008
RE: New England ApplesauceHow long will this keep. What is the best way to store it?
Oct 1, 2008
Grenadine is a red syrup, can be used in alcoholic drinks (Tequila Sunrises)... I know you can buy it at the liquor store.. Don't know where else......
Oct 1, 2008
What is 'Grenadine', and where do you get it? Alice. Reply to:[email protected]