- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Place half of the potatoes in a 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray; layer with 1/2 cup onion and half of the cheese sauce. Repeat layers.
- Bake, covered, 50 minutes. Uncover; bake until bubbly and potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forNever-Fail Scalloped Potatoes
"leave covered for 60 mins and uncovered for at least 15, others have said more sauce, I liked the lesser sauce but a tad more would be good. I used yellow gold. 2/3 cup of onions and added 2 cloves pressed garlic into the sauce.this was very good to eat as others have said. I opted to add some smoked cubed ham as well.Will do this again for sure."
"Thank you for a Great Recipe! I had already made a little extra sauce and the scalloped potatoes came out perfect."
"I'm giving 5 only on the scallops are fantastic if you double Sauce and it needs extra cooking time also !"
"I used cream cheese and sour cream and it wont taste so floury if you make Roux butter and flour and I make it in a small ball and fridge it...small pebbles of this with thicken anything ...."
"This was very good. I added a little worhesthshire sauce and a little sambol. Served up very nicely. Janet. VFE"
"I found this needs the sauce doubled and a longer cooking time,but get that right and these always get rave reviews! It's my go-to scalloped tater recipe."
"easy to make and very good. My family loved them. Warm, comfort food."
"A real winner! This was a very easy recipe to follow and prepare. Only adjustment I would recommend is to "make more". The leftovers were just as good as the first day."
"This is simple and delicious and oh so creamy. I threw in some Velveeta cheese cubes instead of the cheddar cheese. Yummy!"
"Oh my goodness, this recipe is delish ! Doubled the sauce and then added 1/2 cup more milk. For cheese try some grated pepper jack along with cheddar, it's not too spicy hot. I always par-boil my potato slices first and saute' the onions, well worth the extra touches. This goes well with a meatloaf or ham, even pork chops or roast, just add a green vege or salad. Double the recipe for left-overs they are even good with scrambled eggs for breaky."