Nelda's Sausage and Rice Dressing Recipe
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 pound mild or hot Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and crumbled
- 1 box (6 ounces) stuffing croutons
- 1 can (2 ounces) mushroom pieces and stems
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- Poultry seasoning to taste
- 1. Cook rice mix according to package directions. Set aside. In a skillet, melt butter. Saute the onion and celery until tender. Combine all remaining ingredients and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Editor's Note: Dressing makes enough to stuff a 12-lb. turkey, if desired.
3/4 cup: 320 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 1028mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.