- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 large meaty ham bone
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain. Add broth, water, ham bone, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Saute onions, carrots and celery in oil; add to soup. Cover and simmer 1 hour longer. Debone ham and cut into chunks; return to soup. Skim fat. Yield: 10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forNeighborhood Bean Soup
"I made this today it was so easy and very tasty.. will be using this recipe again for sure"
"This recipe is wonderful. Simple to prepare,and has a great flavor."
"This is a wonderful bean soup. I followed the directions as presented. I used low sodium, low fat chicken broth and only 2 Tablespoons of the chicken granules. I did feel it was a bit salty, however. Next time I will omit the granules. It is always good to remember that celery also is high in sodium, so that, with the ham and broth, adds up. Certainly will make this again and again. May just have to serve ham more often just for the leftovers. Can't wait for the leftovers of soup tonight."
"This is a great recipe. I made it today. I did not use ham hocks, I had some leftover ham that i cut up and added to the soup. It is delicious!!"
"Absolutely the best soup I`ve ever made."
"Amazing flavor. I did not saute veggies first, everything was perfect."
"This is the best ham and bean soup I've come across. I look forward to having the ham bone and a little leftover ham from the spiral cut ham I serve on holidays!"
"This is a great recipe. I add one peeled GRATED apple during last twenty minutes of cooking and one Tbls of white vinegar. Don't be afraid to try this because it makes a good recipe great."
"This was so salty it was almost uneatabled!"