Neighborhood Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Cook: 2-1/4 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let soak for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan; add broth, 3 cups water, ham bone, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, carrots and celery in oil until tender; add to soup. Cover and simmer 45-60 minutes longer or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone; cool slightly. Skim fat from soup. Remove meat from bone and cut into chunks; return to soup. Discard bone.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 203 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 1001mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein.
Oct 28, 2019
Great recipe. Full of flavor and very satisfying on a cold night. For a change up, I added some chopped greens to it, which makes it a complete meal. I used collards, but spinach or any other dark greens would work.
Oct 11, 2019
Very tasty recipe! Used one large jar Randall northern beans, 1-1/2c cubed cooked ham, one box low sodium chicken broth, one can diced tomatoes, filled water from empty tomato can, added 4 med potatoes, cubed, med onion, three stalks celery sliced, four peeled and sliced carrots, and omitted: savory, marjoram and thyme. Cookes all In crock pot all day!
Jan 18, 2019
Just made my first batch and it is very good. It's definitely not my mother's bean soup. I didn't even have to add ketchup.
Jan 17, 2019
Overall a good recipe, but if you aren't a fan of thyme, it isn't so great. I would recommend dialing that and the savory back. I added a potato to soak up the thyme flavor and threw it out when the soup was done. Much better flavor then.
Jan 30, 2018
This is an awesome recipe. I follow the directions; however, I do use leftover ham that is cut into bite size chunks. No need to precook veggies, everything cooks up lovely in my dutch oven in an hour.I love to put some rice in my bowl ( or cornbread) first. I have made this 3 times and I will make it many more times. My husband loves it as well. Next time, I will try it with chicken and wild rice.
Dec 28, 2017
I made this today it was so easy and very tasty.. will be using this recipe again for sure
Dec 8, 2017
This recipe is wonderful. Simple to prepare,and has a great flavor.
Apr 20, 2017
This is a wonderful bean soup. I followed the directions as presented. I used low sodium, low fat chicken broth and only 2 Tablespoons of the chicken granules. I did feel it was a bit salty, however. Next time I will omit the granules. It is always good to remember that celery also is high in sodium, so that, with the ham and broth, adds up. Certainly will make this again and again. May just have to serve ham more often just for the leftovers. Can't wait for the leftovers of soup tonight.
Jan 7, 2017
This is a great recipe. I made it today. I did not use ham hocks, I had some leftover ham that i cut up and added to the soup. It is delicious!!
Jan 6, 2017
Absolutely the best soup I`ve ever made.