Nectarine Cream Pie
This is a good dessert on hot summer days like we have here in Florida. It's cool and cheery, and it also tastes yummy!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Red food coloring, optional
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2 cups sliced peeled fresh or frozen nectarines, thawed
- In a bowl, mash the strawberries. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until blended; Stir in mashed berries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and food coloring if desired. Cool.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and extract until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into the pastry shell. Arrange nectarines over cream mixture. Top with strawberry mixture. Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 395 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Nectarine Cream Pie in Country Extra July 2002