I sometimes use half a vanilla bean in this dessert. Just scrape the seeds into the baking dish and tuck the pod under the fruit. Either way, this fruity treat is a standout! —Maria Breiner, Schwenksville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum, optional
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium nectarines, halved
- 1 pound fresh sweet cherries, pitted
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine sugar, rum if desired, cornstarch and vanilla. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Place nectarine halves, cut side down, over sugar mixture. Sprinkle with cherries.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and fruit is tender. Serve warm with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without ice cream): 111 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 27g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Fresh Nectarine and Cherry Compote in Simple & Delicious June/July 2010