Nectarine Barbecued Cornish Hen
Mildly sweet and tangy, nectarine sauce is especially good with grilled poultry or pork. It adheres nicely to Cornish hens, adding more flavor to every bite. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Grill: 20 min.
- 2 medium nectarines, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces), split lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a food processor, combine the first five ingredients; cover and process until smooth.
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in nectarine mixture and bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle hen with salt and pepper. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill hen, covered, over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 180°, turning and basting occasionally with sauce.
Originally published as Nectarine Barbecue Cornish Hens in Country Woman August/September 2010