Navy Bean Stew
"Here's a delicious dish that I make for my husband, who's on a low-salt diet," reports Margaret Bourgoujian of Oswego, New York. "I love it, too!"
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 20 min. + soaking Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1-1/2 pounds Italian sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) whole kernel corn
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In same pan, bring the water and soaked beans to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain.
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, onion, carrots, corn, parsley, Italian seasoning and beans. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until bubbly.