Total TimePrep: 10 min. + rising Cook: 45 min.
- 1 loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound hot bulk pork sausage
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Chopped tomato
- Finely chopped onion
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Taco sauce
- Allow dough to rise. Meanwhile, for filling, cook beef and sausage in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning, beans and water. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until the water is almost evaporated; set aside.
- After dough rises, punch down. Make tortillas by dividing dough onto 10 to 12 equal balls. Using a small amount of flour, roll each ball into an 8-in. circle (tortillas should be thin).
- Fry each tortilla in 1/4-in. hot oil until golden brown, turning once. Drain tortillas on paper towels; keep warm. Top each tortilla with meat mixture, tomato, onion, lettuce, cheese and taco sauce.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 5, 2013
I have used this recipe a long time ago but can't find it until now..this is a great meal and really not that hard to make.
Nov 27, 2012
this isn't to far off from what I grew up on it's a traditional recipe not everyone makes it the same every family has there own secret.... *proud native indian*
Jul 15, 2010
This is reminiscent of tacos I had as a kid before manufactured tortillas were easy to find. Naturally I really, really like this recipe! But even better than that, my family thinks it is special when I make Navajo Tacos.
Jul 12, 2010
Looks like something my adult sons would like,
Jul 12, 2010
I love this recipe i changed it up a little bit. Very good though:)