- 6 bacon strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 jars (24 ounces each) meatless pasta sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place bacon on a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; microwave on high 3-5 minutes or until partially cooked but not crisp. In a small bowl, mix garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Starting at one long side, cut steak horizontally in half to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Open steak flat; cover with plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness; remove plastic.
- Spread garlic mixture over steak; sprinkle with cheese. Layer with eggs and bacon to within 1 in. of edges; sprinkle with parsley. Starting with a long side of the steak, roll up jelly-roll style (along the grain); tie at 1-1/2-in. intervals with kitchen string.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roulade on all sides. Pour pasta sauce over top. Bake, covered, 1-1/2-1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roulade from pot; remove string and cut into slices. Serve with sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle with additional parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forNana's Italian Roulade
"Agree with matteliz."
"This is a definite keeper in this household! I just cut down the spaghetti sauce to 1-1 12 jars and didn't include the boiled egg, since my daughter is allergic to eggs. My husband and I had that on the side, and just mixed it in with our portions."
"Delicious! My children (and husband) gobbled it right down for Valentine's Day. I gave it 4 stars because it takes some time to make. And you have such a huge pot of tomato sauce left over."