Nana’s Chiles Rellenos
This zesty dish is not for the faint of heart. My family has been enjoying it for three generations...and will be doing so for years to come!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 can (27 ounces) whole green chiles, drained
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Slice chiles in half and remove seeds. Arrange half of the chiles in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with remaining chiles. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and flour until smooth; pour over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce and taco seasoning; pour over casserole. Carefully place cheese cubes on top in a checkerboard pattern; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until top is set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Originally published as Nana's Chilies Rellenos in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003