One day, I didn't have time to cook spaghetti sauce for my meatballs. So I used canned soup as a substitute. This dish has great cheesy flavor and a little crunch from the french-fried onions. - June Clark, Clarkrange, Tennessee.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (11 ounces) condensed nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour, turning once; drain. Combine soups and water; pour over meatballs. Sprinkle with onions. Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 389 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 924mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Nacho Meatballs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.