Thirty minutes is all it takes to place this tasty shrimp dish on the table. It quick for weeknight meals, but special enough for guests. —Elaine Holmes, Brandon, Florida
Recommended: 26 Healthy Meals in a Bowl
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a small bowl, combine butter and garlic.
- In a large skillet, saute 1/4 cup onion in 3 tablespoons butter mixture until tender. Add the shrimp, tomatoes, parsley, lemon juice and 1-1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated and shrimp turn pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute remaining onion and Creole seasoning in remaining butter mixture. Add rice and beans; heat through. Serve with shrimp. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as N'Orleans Shrimp with Beans & Rice in Taste of Home A+ Recipes from Schools Across America 2013, p150