My True Love Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling, divided
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat in water and oil until smooth.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. heart-shaped baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Beat in cream and extract. Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with half of cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Top with 1 cup pie filling and second cake; spread with remaining cream cheese mixture. Make a heart-shaped indentation in center of cake; fill with remaining pie filling. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 557 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 7, 2014
I love this cake as well it just adds a bit of charm for that special someone. I also tried it with banana and took off the can cherries and dipped chocolate bananas and it was a hit
Feb 9, 2012
This cake is delicious!!! I reduced the sugar in the cake to 1 1/2 cups, and it still tasted marvelous! It has a wonderful, light vanilla-chocolate flavor! I didn't make the frosting recipe since we didn't have cream or cream cheese, so I just used half of a simple buttercream frosting recipe instead. I also used light cherry pie filling. Tasted wonderful! I used a 9 x 13 inch heart shaped pan and had to bake it almost twice as long, but it still turned out great! I just split it into two layers. I would definitely recommend making this; it not only tastes great but looks perfect for Valentine's Day!
Oct 1, 2010
I've made this recipe several times and we just love it.
Apr 11, 2010
I made this cake for my 3rd wedding anniversary & my husband loved it! It taste like cherry cheesecake to me! I will be making this on Valentines day for years to come....starting next year when our son is older so he will have a Valentine's day tradition since we have one for every other holiday! This is an amazing recipe, kudos to the chef!! :)
Feb 2, 2010
I've made this every Valentine's Day since it first appeared on the back cover. Although I make it with strawberries and have cheated by using a boxed mix, the family loves it!
Feb 22, 2008
This cake was awesome! I made it for Valentine's Day for my boyfriend who loves cherries. It was a little thin when I put it in the oven and took about 10 minutes longer to bake, but it came out absolutely beautiful. I loved the almond cream cheese frosting, but it made a ton. Great cake! I will definitely make this again!