This rice salad came from my mother's personal cookbook. I'm not sure where she found it, but it sounds like a New Orleans-type of dish to me. I like to make it for special occasions. It tastes especially good with barbecued meats. It also goes well with turkey dishes...and it's nutritious!
Recommended: 15 Make-Ahead Salad Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- Combine rice, beans and onion. In a separate bowl, combine oil, vinegar, sugar, relish and chili powder and salt, if desired. Toss with rice mixture. Cover and chill for several hours. Just before serving, stir in green pepper. Yield: 8 side-dish servings.
Originally published as My Favorite Rice Salad in Reminisce July/August 1991, p35