My Favorite Bran Muffins Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups unprocessed bran*
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine first seven ingredients; set aside. Combine eggs, honey, molasses, oil, buttermilk and boiling water; mix well with dry ingredients. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins, filling 2/3 full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Batter may be made ahead and stored in refrigerator for up to 1 month to be used as needed. *You may substitute Mueslix cereal for part of the bran. Yield: 2 dozen muffins.
1 each: 185 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for My Favorite Bran Muffins
"Yes, was really runny. Did do 6 with my yellow scoop (which I usually use for muffins) only filled half way. Took only 15 min. The taste and texture was great. I will wait and see what they are like when batter comes out of ref. to bake tomorrow. I did add 1/2 cup more of bran too before baking 1st time."
"I'd give this 5 stars for taste, but it's a really runny batter, so that would get only 2 or 3 stars, so I'm averaging it to 4. It was hard to get the batter into the muffin cups without making a terrible mess. I tried an ice cream scoop (ie, cookie dough scoop, which works great for muffins), a measuring cup, and pouring directly from the mixing bowl. I'll probably try a different recipe next time."