My Favorite Bran Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups All-Bran
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. Combine the eggs, honey, molasses, oil, buttermilk and boiling water; mix well with dry ingredients. Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Batter may be made ahead and stored in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 9, 2017
Yes, was really runny. Did do 6 with my yellow scoop (which I usually use for muffins) only filled half way. Took only 15 min. The taste and texture was great. I will wait and see what they are like when batter comes out of ref. to bake tomorrow. I did add 1/2 cup more of bran too before baking 1st time.
Jan 5, 2016
I'd give this 5 stars for taste, but it's a really runny batter, so that would get only 2 or 3 stars, so I'm averaging it to 4. It was hard to get the batter into the muffin cups without making a terrible mess. I tried an ice cream scoop (ie, cookie dough scoop, which works great for muffins), a measuring cup, and pouring directly from the mixing bowl. I'll probably try a different recipe next time.
May 24, 2015
Best bran muffins EVER! Moist, flavorful, not healthy tasting, oh so delicious. I didn't have any wheat germ so just used another cup of All Bran instead. And I omitted the orange peel cuz I don't care for the flavor. Instead I added dark chocolate chips. They were to DIE for!