My Favorite Bran Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups All-Bran
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. Combine the eggs, honey, molasses, oil, buttermilk and boiling water; mix well with dry ingredients. Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Batter may be made ahead and stored in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
May 9, 2017
Yes, was really runny. Did do 6 with my yellow scoop (which I usually use for muffins) only filled half way. Took only 15 min. The taste and texture was great. I will wait and see what they are like when batter comes out of ref. to bake tomorrow. I did add 1/2 cup more of bran too before baking 1st time.
Jan 5, 2016
I'd give this 5 stars for taste, but it's a really runny batter, so that would get only 2 or 3 stars, so I'm averaging it to 4. It was hard to get the batter into the muffin cups without making a terrible mess. I tried an ice cream scoop (ie, cookie dough scoop, which works great for muffins), a measuring cup, and pouring directly from the mixing bowl. I'll probably try a different recipe next time.
May 24, 2015
Best bran muffins EVER! Moist, flavorful, not healthy tasting, oh so delicious. I didn't have any wheat germ so just used another cup of All Bran instead. And I omitted the orange peel cuz I don't care for the flavor. Instead I added dark chocolate chips. They were to DIE for!