Just a few ingredients are all you’ll need for this tasty side dish. “The recipe was inspired by both my grandmother and my husband’s grandmother, who used to prepare similar salads,” says Patricia Ritter of Douglassville, Pennsylvania.
Recommended: Top 10 Potato Salad Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds fresh wax beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Dash salt
- Place beans in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Transfer beans to a serving bowl; reserve 2 tablespoons of cooking water. In a small bowl, combine the onion, mustard, vinegar, reserved cooking water and salt. Drizzle over beans; toss to coat. Serve warm or chilled. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mustard Bean Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p55