Musk Ox Chili
NOTE: if diarist spells the animal "muskox" in the diary, change the recipe title and ingredient back to one word
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + soaking Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makes14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 2-1/2 cups dried pinto beans
- 2 pounds ground musk ox, buffalo or lean beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid; set beans aside.
- In the Dutch oven, cook meat over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, onion, garlic, seasonings and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste; heat through, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 217 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 208mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 very lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Muskox Chili in Farm and Ranch Living June/July 2009