Mushroom Wild Rice Dish
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in the rice, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 55 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Saute the mushrooms, onion and almonds in drippings until vegetables are tender; stir into rice mixture. Add bacon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 173 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 24, 2019
Love this recipe! The first time I made it, I didn't have chicken broth and slivered almonds, so I substituted chicken stock and pine nuts. I also added fresh thyme. Since then, I've made the original recipe and there is NO comparison. I'm sticking with my edited version.
May 22, 2017
I made this for my husbands birthday dinner to go with steaks. Instead of chicken broth I used beef broth. It made a big bowl full. My husband said it was his new favorite rice dish. The whole family loved it!!! I would give it 10 stars if I could!
Dec 26, 2014
Really enjoyed this rice! Made it for Christmas dinner and even my 1 year old loved it! Used baby portabella mushrooms. Delicious!
Nov 2, 2010
This is a very nice recipe. I used canned mushrooms as I did not have fresh mushrooms on hand. Also I used a brown and wild rice mix since I was out of plain wild rice.