Mushroom Wild Rice Casserole
I love to cook and entertain. This is a favorite company's coming casserole, especially in fall. Mushrooms and wild rice make a terrific team. - Edna Eggert, Bella Vista, Arkansas.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef consomme
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each celery salt, garlic salt and onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch dried thyme
- In a bowl, combine water and rice; let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add mushrooms; saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Drain rice and stir into beef mixture. Remove from the heat; cool. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Discard the bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 316 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 901mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Wild Rice in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book