- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped seeded peeled plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pan, combine flour and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Return mushroom mixture to saucepan. Add the tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forMushroom Tomato-Basil Soup
"This is excellent! Even my son, who doesn't like tomatoes, devours it! I've made it many times."
"The flavor was good, but it just didn't look very appetizing."