VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel, optional
- MUSHROOM FILLING:
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups beef broth
- Cut steak horizontally from a long side to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Open steak so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/4-in. thickness.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, soy sauce, honey, mustard, pepper and, if desired, lemon peel. Pour half of marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in parsley. Drain and discard marinade. Open steak; spoon filling over steak to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie with kitchen string. Place in a greased shallow roasting pan. Pour reserved marinade over steak.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; baste with pan drippings. Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°, medium, 160°, well-done, 170°). Remove and keep warm. Meanwhile, transfer cooking juices to a saucepan; skim fat. Bring cooking juices to a boil. Mix cornstarch and broth until smooth. Stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cut steak into slices; serve with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom-Stuffed Flank Steak Roll in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p132