Mushroom Steak Hoagies
My Aunt Diane perfected the recipe for these hearty hoagies. We often double or triple it for family gatherings since they're such a hit. I begin marinating the beef the night before so the sandwiches can be put together in less than 30 minutes on a hectic evening. -Jennifer Walker, Logan, Utah
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 10 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 hoagie buns, split and toasted
- Sliced tomatoes
- In a large resealable plastic bag or shallow glass container, combine water, soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper. Add steak and turn to coat. Seal or cover and refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a large skillet, brown steak over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and mushrooms; stir-fry until tender. Reduce heat. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Remove from the heat; stir until cheese is melted and meat is coated. Spoon onto buns; top with tomatoes.