Mushroom & Spinach Bread Pudding
Want a change of pace from traditional stuffing? Try this savory bread pudding loaded with spinach and cremini mushrooms. It's easy to prepare and a great way to use up leftover bread.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 6 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 5 cups cubed French bread baguette (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced fresh cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until blended. Stir in bread; let stand 10 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add spinach, garlic, thyme and remaining salt and pepper. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Add to bread mixture; stir in mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Originally published as Marvelous Mushroom and Spinach Bread Pudding in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.