Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce
Our three boys don't seem to mind the flavor mushrooms, green peppers and onions in my spaghetti sauce as much as the chunks. Through the years, I've learned to chop the vegetables very fine so there's nothing for them to search for and pick out.—LaVonne Hegland, St. Michael, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (one 12 ounces, one 18 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons each dried parsley flakes, basil and oregano
- 2 teaspoons each garlic powder, sugar and salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef, onions and green pepper until the beef is no longer pink; drain. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 172 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 561mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.