- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chunky salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and thinly sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in beans, salsa, tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce, mushrooms, peppers and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until flavors are blended. Add toppings of your choice. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forMushroom Salsa Chili
"I have made this three times already this year. It is wonderful. I do use hot sausage and 2 cups hot salsa and 1 cup medium salas. I also double the amount of mushrooms because I love them. Excellent recipe and so simple. Thank you so much."
"This is more of a light "summer" chili. I added more peppers, doubled the spices, added some black pepper for a little warmth and an extra can of beans and we loved it. Oh, I also used fresh mushrooms."
"Definitely one of the best chili recipes I've tried!"
"I also used fresh mushrooms, and was pleasantly surprised to find this is a step or two up from your typical chili."
"Really just average. The mushrooms are a nice touch, but way too many beans. Not as hearty tasting as many other chili recipes."
"I have made a lot of chili over the years and thought this one was just average. I didn't add the mushrooms and needed to add a lot of extra spices to give it some zing."
"I make this chili at least once per month year round. It is so flavorful and perfect for our low-carb lifestyle. I use 1 can of kidney beans and 1 can of black beans and use fresh mushrooms instead of canned. So hearty and flavorful!"