Mushroom Round Steak
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak (1/2 inch thick), cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown the beef in batches in oil. Transfer meat to a 3-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, mushrooms, water, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Transfer cooking liquid to a saucepan. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir a small amount of hot liquid into sour cream. Return all to the pan; cook on low until heated through. Serve over meat.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 405 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1127mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein.
Oct 20, 2018
The steak was very tender. Gravy had a great creamy taste and was great with mashed potatoes!
Jan 22, 2013
the meat was very tender and the sour cream on top add go flavor. I used a pack of dry onion soup instead of the can soup and 1 1/2 c water
Dec 21, 2010
I served this with baked potatoes. My husband piled the meat and gravy on top of his baked potato and LOVED it!