Mushroom Round Steak
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak (1/2 inch thick), cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown the beef in batches in oil. Transfer meat to a 3-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, mushrooms, water, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Transfer cooking liquid to a saucepan. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir a small amount of hot liquid into sour cream. Return all to the pan; cook on low until heated through. Serve over meat.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 405 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1127mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 20, 2018
The steak was very tender. Gravy had a great creamy taste and was great with mashed potatoes!
Jan 22, 2013
the meat was very tender and the sour cream on top add go flavor. I used a pack of dry onion soup instead of the can soup and 1 1/2 c water
Dec 21, 2010
I served this with baked potatoes. My husband piled the meat and gravy on top of his baked potato and LOVED it!