Mushroom Ricotta Bread
The texture of this bread is so soft, it absolutely melts in your mouth! The garlic and whole wheat create a nice blend of flavors, and ricotta cheese lends extra richness.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (17 slices)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 2 cups flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, oil, egg and salt. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms and garlic in butter until tender; set aside. Punch dough down. Roll into a 18x12-in. rectangle. Spread ricotta to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with mushroom mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Brush with egg. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 214 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Ricotta Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.