Mushroom-Rice Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, rice, onion and celery leaves in butter until onion is tender. Add water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in pecans.
- 2. Stuff 1/2 cup of rice mixture under the skin of each chicken breast half. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°.
1 each: 461 calories, 23g fat (8g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 767mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 42g protein.
Nov 19, 2011
Delicious! Easy to make and hubby loved it ...chicken not his most favorite but tolerates it because it is my favorite! Thanks
Nov 7, 2010
This is a delicious recipe. It's easy enough for everyday and elegant enough to serve guests.
Sep 27, 2009
I like "stuffed" recipes, and this one not only is very tasty but the stuffing goes easily under the skin of the chichen breasts. A really nice entree for company or when you feel like treating your family. I spooned the extra stuffing around the breasts and baked it covered for 30-35 min, then uncoverd for the last half hour.