Mushroom Rice Medley
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, brown rice, wild rice, bouillon and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Stir in rice and bacon; heat through. Season with salt if desired.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 201 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Apr 20, 2018
A quick and easy recipe to have on hand for a simple side dish! I loved the mushrooms and the rest of my family loved the bacon! Served it with salmon but I imagine it would go well with just about anything. Instead of bouillon cubes, I just used chicken stock in place of the water to cook the rice. Very flavorful!
May 4, 2017
Very good! The bacon really makes a difference in this recipe. I usually add a couple cloves of minced garlic with the onions.
Apr 11, 2017
This is a savory and fantastic recipe. I didn't have bacon on hand, but I did have bacon drippings in the fridge so I used that for the bacon flavor; didn't really miss the bacon. The addition of dried oregano really made the dish. Will make this again.
Apr 19, 2012
We really enjoyed the savory flavors of this rice medley. Will definitely make again!
Aug 10, 2011
Loved the flavor of this recipe. My husband doesn't really love rice, but the bacon made it worth it for him! I added garlic while sauting the mushrooms and onions. I will be making this again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.