Mushroom Pot Roast
Mushroom lovers will tingle with excitement when they see this tender, slow-cooked roast. My recipe calls for a 1/2-pound of fresh sliced mushrooms along with onion, garlic and other seasonings and ingredients.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- Sprinkle beef with garlic powder and pepper. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown meat in oil on all sides. Add the water, onion, celery, garlic, bouillon and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add mushrooms. Cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaves. Thicken cooking liquid if desired; serve with beef.
Nutrition Facts5 ounce-weight: 272 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Pot Roast in Country Extra May 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.