This is an easy, hearty and delicious meal for a chilly evening! Its cheesy goodness will have you going for seconds. Serve with salad and garlic bread. —Sue Aschemeier, Defiance, Ohio
Recommended: 73 Reasons to Get Behind Meatless Monday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot; cool slightly.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms until tender, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in marinara sauce and seasonings. Spread half of the mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Stir ricotta cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese into pasta; spoon over mushroom mixture. Spread with remaining mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 25-30 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Penne Bake in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p192