When Louise Graybiel is out of spaghetti sauce and doesn't have time to make it from scratch, she relies on this easy recipe that makes the most of canned items. "It has a sweet taste that kids enjoy," says the Toronto, Ontario cook.
Recommended: 42 Better-for-You Pasta Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (110-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (7 ounces each) pizza sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes; cool. Transfer to freezer bags or containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Heat and serve. Yield: about 7 cups.
Originally published as Mushroom Pasta Sauce in Quick Cooking July/August 2003, p55