After trying something similar in a restaurant, Virginia Trent created this creamy, three-mushroom pasta entree at home. “The first time I served it, my husband couldn’t stop raving about it,” she recalls from Dayton, New Jersey.
Recommended: 73 Reasons to Get Behind Meatless Monday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces fresh oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional broth
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook garlic in butter and oil for 1 minute. Add portobello mushrooms; cook for 3 minutes. Add oyster mushrooms and onions; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until mushrooms are almost tender.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Combine the flour and half-and-half until smooth; stir into skillet. Add sherry or additional broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain the pasta and stir into mushroom mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Pasta Medley in Light & Tasty June/July 2006, p56
Reviews forMushroom Pasta Medley
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 10, 2010
"This was kind of bland. It's needs more seasoning or something."