Mushroom Pasta Medley
After trying something similar in a restaurant, Virginia Trent created this creamy, three-mushroom pasta entree at home. “The first time I served it, my husband couldn’t stop raving about it,” she recalls from Dayton, New Jersey.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 6 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces fresh oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional broth
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook garlic in butter and oil for 1 minute. Add portobello mushrooms; cook for 3 minutes. Add oyster mushrooms and onions; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until mushrooms are almost tender.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Combine the flour and half-and-half until smooth; stir into skillet. Add sherry or additional broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain the pasta and stir into mushroom mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 279 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Creamy Mushroom Pasta Medley in Light & Tasty June/July 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.