Mushroom-Onion Stuffed Turkey
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 3-1/2 hours + standing
Makes14 servings (9 cups stuffing)
- 1 loaf (14 ounces) ciabatta bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 4 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- Melted butter
- Place bread on a baking sheet; bake at 250° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is evaporated. Stir in the broth, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper; heat through.
- In a large bowl, combine toasted bread and mushroom mixture. In a small bowl, whisk the cream and egg substitute; pour over bread mixture and toss to coat.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with 4 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 8-in. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
Nutrition Facts8 ounces cooked turkey with 2/3 cup stuffing: 758 calories, 37g fat (14g saturated fat), 281mg cholesterol, 510mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 78g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 10, 2012
I've been looking for a different take on stuffing for years. Tried cornbread stuffings, traditional, and all kinds. This was the best. A total hit! Great combination of flavors. Definitely a keeper.