Mushroom Oat Pancakes
Go beyond plain or blueberry-filled pancakes with these light and earthy flapjacks. The mushrooms and oats add a nice texture and the sunflower kernels are a tasty surprise. —Steven Steuck, St. Louis Park, MN
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes1-1/2 dozen pancakes
- 1/2 pound chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast oats over medium heat until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and oats. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in sunflower kernels and mushrooms.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown.