Mushroom Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3-1/4 hours
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound large portobello mushrooms, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cut three 20x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into a 7-1/2x4-in. loaf.
- Place meat loaf in the center of the strips. Cover and cook on low until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°, 3-4 hours.
- Combine chili sauce, mustard and cayenne; pour over meat. Cover and cook until heated through, about 15 minutes. Using foil strips as handles, remove the meat loaf to a platter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 194 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 648mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 30, 2015
This was one of the best meatloaves I've ever made. It was moist, yet held together nicely. I really liked the mushrooms and the mustard addition to a traditional recipe. We served this alongside some mashed root vegetables and spinach salad. Will definitely keep this recipe in rotation!
Oct 4, 2014
This was delish. I did however make a few changes as to what I had in stock, I use seasoned Panko bread crumbs, and button mushrooms, I didn't add the thyme because of the seasoned bread crumbs or the cayenne pepper as I use a spicy mustard. I also added a small carrot grated . I put sliced mushrooms on top of the sauce and baked in the oven 350 for approx. 45 min. It was so moist and tasty. I will try in in the crockpot next but I wanted it for supper and didn't have it the 3 1/4 hrs at the time.
Oct 2, 2014
Oh My Gosh! I'm sorry to say that this was not good at all!! WAY TOO MUCH FILLER! This meatloaf was total MUSH! There was no saving it. There was five people trying to eat this and NO ONE liked it.