Mushroom Marsala with Barley
This filling vegetarian recipe is a tasty mashup of chicken Marsala and mushroom barley soup. It's great as a main dish, but can also be served, with or without the barley, as a side. —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
- 1-1/2 pounds baby portobello mushrooms, cut into 3/4-in. chunks
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine, divided
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2-1/2 cups cooked barley
- 1. In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine mushrooms, shallots, olive oil and thyme. Add 1/4 cup Marsala wine. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 4 hours.
- 2. Stir in sour cream, flour, lemon zest, salt and remaining Marsala. Cook, covered, on low 15 minutes longer. Sprinkle with goat cheese and parsley. Serve with hot cooked barley.
3/4 cup mushrooms with about 1/3 cup barley: 235 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC