Mushroom-Herb Stuffed French Toast
This recipe transforms French toast into a savory delight with mushrooms and cheese. Its ooey-gooey texture is irresistible! —Lisa Huff, Wilton, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1 pound thinly sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 slices Texas toast
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1 cup Gruyere cheese, 2 tablespoons chives, tarragon, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Spread over bread slices. Spoon mushrooms over half of the slices; place remaining bread slices over the top, spread side down.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and melted butter. Dip both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture.
- In a large skillet, toast sandwiches in remaining butter in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and chives.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 531 calories, 30g fat (17g saturated fat), 185mg cholesterol, 757mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as SAVORY MUSHROOM HERB STUFFED FRENCH TOAST in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.