This recipe transforms French toast into a savory delight with mushrooms and cheese. Its ooey-gooey texture is irresistible! —Lisa Huff, Wilton, Connecticut
Featured In: 45 Recipes for Mushroom Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound thinly sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 slices Texas toast
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1 cup Gruyere cheese, 2 tablespoons chives, tarragon, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Spread over bread slices. Spoon mushrooms over half of the slices; place remaining bread slices over the top, spread side down.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and melted butter. Dip both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture.
- In a large skillet, toast sandwiches in remaining butter in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and chives. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom-Herb Stuffed French Toast in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p26
Reviews forMushroom-Herb Stuffed French Toast
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 28, 2017
"This was unbelievably delicious!!! A MUST try for grilled cheese and mushroom connoisseurs. You will be so incredibly pleased!"