- 1 pound thinly sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 slices Texas toast
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1 cup Gruyere cheese, 2 tablespoons chives, tarragon, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Spread over bread slices. Spoon mushrooms over half of the slices; place remaining bread slices over the top, spread side down.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and melted butter. Dip both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture.
- In a large skillet, toast sandwiches in remaining butter in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and chives. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forMushroom-Herb Stuffed French Toast
"This was unbelievably delicious!!! A MUST try for grilled cheese and mushroom connoisseurs. You will be so incredibly pleased!"