Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 jar (16 ounces) process cheese spread
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen French-style green beans, thawed and well drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese sauce, soy sauce, pepper and hot pepper sauce, stirring until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in water chestnuts.
- Place beans in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Pour the cheese mixture over top. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 223 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Dec 1, 2013
Have made this a couple of times and liked it very much. Used a cheese sauce instead of the cheese spread because of cost and it is a little thick w/ the spread. Added a touch of garlic powder, too. Thanks Pat, even my husband raves about it and he isn't big on green beans.
Jan 11, 2012
Eh, I just wasn't digging this recipe. It really sounded like it would turn out tasty, but it fell short of my expectations. I made it for Thanksgiving, and it was the only thing that we didn't finish off with the left overs... I ended up having to throw most of it away.
Nov 23, 2011
Best on the planet!
Nov 24, 2009
I have made this recipe every Thanksgiving for 10 years! My husband loves the hint of hot pepper, sauteed mushrooms & water chestnuts. Definitely better than the "other" green bean bake!
Apr 6, 2008
Loved this...I served it for a get-together. It was a hit....
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.