A creamy herb stuffing makes these tomatoes a special part of any meal. They're even a tasty light lunch served with hot rolls.—Roberta Hammond, Warrington, Florida
Recommended: 48 Ways to Cook Fresh, Juicy Tomatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash pepper
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Invert tomatoes on paper towels to drain. Chop pulp, reserving 1 cup.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Combine egg yolks and sour cream; add to mushrooms. Stir in 1/4 cup bread crumbs, salt, thyme, pepper and reserved tomato pulp. Simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 1 minute. Spoon about 1/3 cupful into each tomato.
- Place in an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with remaining bread crumbs. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom-Filled Tomatoes in Taste of Home June/July 1999, p45