Mushroom Cornbread Dressing
This family-pleasing dressing is moist and flavorful, and it makes enough for a large gathering.—Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- For cornbread, combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Combine 2 eggs, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms, celery and onions in butter until tender. In a large bowl, beat remaining eggs add broth, soup, almonds, poultry seasoning, pepper and vegetables. Crumble cornbread over mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.