Mushroom Cornbread Dressing
This family-pleasing dressing is moist and flavorful, and it makes enough for a large gathering.—Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- For cornbread, combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Combine 2 eggs, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms, celery and onions in butter until tender. In a large bowl, beat remaining eggs add broth, soup, almonds, poultry seasoning, pepper and vegetables. Crumble cornbread over mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 267 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 725mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Corn Bread Dressing in Taste of Home October/November 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.