Mushroom Cheesecake Appetizers
I’m a fan of both cheesecake and mushrooms, so I decided to pair the two in a savory appetizer. The individual cakes are rich and satisfying—great for tiding over hungry guests. —Donna Ryan, Topsfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 carton (8 ounces) whipped cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Toasted French bread baguette slices
- Grease the bottoms and halfway up the sides of muffin cups with butter. Press bread crumbs onto the bottoms and halfway up the sides of prepared cups.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the eggs, sour cream, 1 tablespoon thyme, salt and pepper. Divide among prepared muffin cups; sprinkle with fontina cheese and remaining thyme. Bake at 350° until set, 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Top cheesecakes with mushroom mixture. Serve with baguette slices.