Mushroom Cheese Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup canned mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Flatten chicken to 1/8-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the flour and yogurt until smooth. Stir in the cheese, mushrooms, pimientos, parsley and chives. Spread down the center of each piece of chicken. Roll up and tuck in ends; secure with toothpicks. Place seam side down in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Brush yogurt over chicken. Combine bread crumbs and paprika; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Discard toothpicks before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 222 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 39g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Jan 10, 2014
I have had this recipe clipped for awhile, but never made it because it looked complicated. I'm glad I finally did because it's not very hard, and it is very delicious and a healthy choice. I used non-fat greek yogurt instead of the plain and didn't add pimientos (didn't have any). The yogurt seems like a weird ingredient to have stuffed in the chicken, but it gives it a creaminess, like the filling is all cheese, when it's not. I'm not sure my family knew that there was even yogurt in there. Next time I would probably try to halve the filling, just because there was quite a bit left over.